Like a chase scene from a James Bond film, the Downhill slipper showcases a thrilling alpine adventure featuring a skiing bunny and a very big, but friendly, bear. Beautifully handstitched by our artisans in Austria, this pair features everything you need for comfortable apres-ski relaxation this winter: arch-supporting removable footbeds, temperature regulating boiled wool uppers and a roomy fit to accommodate those thick wool socks grandma made for you.
- handstitched appliqués (variations between pairs result from individual craftsmanship)
- high-level arch support (metatarsal and medial)
- removable natural rubber/natural jute/recycled carbon footbed
- moisture-wicking, breathable, 100% natural boiled wool upper naturally regulates body temperature
- never itchy, scratchy, or sweaty
- natural latex-dipped outsole with vegetable dyes is non-marking, flexible, and water-resistant
- patented outsole uses no synthetic chemicals or glues
- accommodates third-party orthotics
- seam-free interior hugs the foot with no irritation or chafing
- made in Austria
Footbeds for Houseshoes
A high level of arch support with subtle cushioning.
This Ultra-Comfort boiled wool-lined footbed is specifically designed for our collection of indoor houseshoes. A cushioned midsole material gives you just enough cushion to feel cozy, while also offering a firm enough arch support (medial and metatarsal) to help keep you aligned and energized on your feet all day long. The proprietary blend of materials ensures that the footbed flexes dynamically with your foot (and Giesswein houseshoe) each step of the way. In keeping with our philosophy of keeping you (and our shoes) as natural as possible, no synthetic glues or cements are present here. Only four natural materials go into these footbeds: wool, rubber, recycled carbon, and natural jute. Naturally odor-resistant and machine washable.
- high-level arch support (metatarsal and medial)
- retains anatomic contours and full cushioning for years
- metatarsal arch supports the ball of the foot, and encourages toes to separate naturally, aiding in the release of tension in the foot
- medial arch stabilizes the foot and supports both the inside and outside arches, helping to minimize pronation and reduce fatigue
- machine washable footbed is lightweight, durable, and cushioned
- made of natural rubber, natural jute, and recycled carbon with boiled wool lining
- soft, non-synthetic, moisture-wicking durable boiled wool liner prevents overheating and keeps your foot dry and comfortable year-round
- natural boiled wool is never itchy, scratchy, or sweaty
- deep heel cup keeps the heel firmly in place and provides shock absorption and increased stability and balance
- made in Germany
Footbed Wash & Care
- separate footbed from shoe
- place footbed in washing machine (preferably using a delicates bag)
- wash cold, gentlest cycle (only mild, natural detergent, if necessary, for tough soils)
- no fabric softener; no machine drying
- allow to air-dry overnight
Our proprietary Ultra-Comfort footbeds ensure that your Giesswein experience goes beyond coziness: anatomically correct arch support, roomy toe boxes, deep heel cups, and naturally supportive materials help to keep your feet healthy, energized, stable, and comfortable all day (and year) long.Back to Top
Wash & Care
- spot clean only
Fit and Wear Tips
Fit Tip #1: Roomy slipper; not always the best option for low instep or narrow feet
Fit Tip #2: If you have a slimmer foot but this special applique is a "must have", a thick wool sock can help snug up the fit (a little bit).
Question: How are your shoes sized, and how I choose the best size?
Answer: If you have never worn a Giesswein before (or are choosing a new style), we always recommend that you visit one of our authorized retailers for the best fitting advice. If that is not an option, here are some tips: There should be very minimal or no lifting of the heel out of the shoe when walking; no noticeable bulges/protrusions of material as a result of your foot shape (especially in the toe area); your foot should experience either very minimal or no lateral (side-to-side) or front-to-back movement when walking; no part of your foot should noticeably "roll off" or hang over the edges of our removable, orthotic-quality footbed when walking. Also, there are nuances in fit between different styles in our collection: a size 38 could be a great fit for you in one style, while a half-size up/down may be better for you in another style. We maintain unique size conversions for every style (sometimes even within the same grouping, i.e. Houseshoes, Lodge Shoes, etc.): the approximate US conversions are listed specifically on every page when choosing size and color.
Question: Can these Houseshoes be worn outside?
Answer: No. While durable, our Houseshoes’ patented, all natural, latex-dipped outsoles are designed for indoor use only.
Question: Can Giesswein Houseshoes be repaired (wool) or resoled?
Answer: We do not offer in-house repair services for our product line. (Since our specialized manufacturing is done in Austria, we do not have the we do not have the equipment for repairs here in the USA.) Thus, we recommend that anyone experiencing a hole in the textile check with a local seamster/seamstress/tailor—because our shoes are mainly constructed of wool, we find that regular cobblers are not so well-suited to repairing the shoes. A good tailor should be accustomed to working with wool (sweaters, etc,) and they should be able to offer a reasonable stitching or patch solution that will prolong the usage of your Giessweins. The rubber outsoles cannot be repaired.
Question: Can I buy replacement footbeds for these shoes?
Answer: Yes. Please see our Footbeds section to identify and purchase the correct footbed for your Giessweins. Our footbeds can be used in other brands’ shoes, but, in these cases, we recommend that you seek the advice/consultation of a pedorthist to ensure that the combination of your individual foot, shoes, and Giesswein footbed are appropriate for your neBack to Top
We ship via UPS Ground to the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia (excl. HI & AK) only. Please note, we cannot ship to a PO Box. Shipping charges are as follows: $8 for one pair; $12 for two or more pairs.
Returns and exchanges are quick and easy! We provide a prepaid UPS return label with every order for hassle-free shipping back to us. Not sure what size you need? Order multiple pairs to try on in the comfort of your home – if you keep at least one pair from your order, we’ll waive the restocking fee. Exchanges (for a different size of the same style only) are always free. If all pairs from an order are returned, we’ll deduct an $8 restocking fee. For both returns and exchanges, items must be unworn, in new condition and in their original packaging and returned within 30 days of your order date.
Our signature houseshoes are a perennial favorite for Giesswein customers because of their durability, solid support, and year-round comfort. On the outside, our houseshoes are dipped in natural latex to form a seamless, treaded outsole that will never separate, and many styles feature appliquéd designs that are individually hand-stitched by our artisans. On the inside, your feet will be treated to our never itchy, never scratchy softness and the superior arch support of our removable footbeds. The medial and metatarsal arch supporting footbeds can help with common foot ailments, such as high or collapsed arches (always consult with your podiatrist on what type of shoe is best for you) or back pain. With the natural breathability and moisture-wicking properties of our boiled wool, these shoes are at home in any climate.Back to Top